Jordyn Wieber Announces Retirement

8:46 AM Arabian Punch Front 2 Comments

Photo Credit: Dan Johnson Photography


The 2012 Olympic Team Champion Jordyn Wieber of the USA has officially announced her retirement. At the age of just 13 years old, Wieber won her first major international title at the American Cup in 2009. In 2011, for her senior debut, Wieber once again won the American Cup and went on to become World Champion in a final that came down to thousandths of a point. Wieber's success continued into the Olympic year where she was named to the Olympic Team that would go on to win gold, the first for the USA since the Magnificent Seven in 1996. While Wieber did not make the all around final, she did have the opportunity to compete in the floor final although her performance was hindered by a stress fracture in her right leg. Her floor performance in the team final is something that will stick with fans of the sport for a long time as she came back from such heartache to have the performance of a lifetime.



"Yes, it’s time to for me to retire from elite gymnastics. But I can honestly say that I don’t have any regrets looking back on the past 15 years.

"I had my share of injury set-backs, falls during competitions, bad practices and disappointment. But I honestly believe that all of those experiences helped make me who I am, and who I will become.



"It goes without saying that the Olympics was the highlight of my career. As I move on from the sport, I want to be sure it is known that I am completely fulfilled and content with my experience at the Games. It was difficult to accept the reality of having an injury at the most crucial moment in my career. I am grateful that I was able to compete and be part of winning the Olympic Team Gold.

"Retiring from gymnastics wasn’t an easy decision because it is a world I love. I loved the people, the competition, the traveling, the challenge. I loved the support I felt from gymnastics fans across the world. I truly appreciate all the kindness that was expressed over the years.

"Gymnastics was an experience that changed my life forever and it will always be part of my life."


You can read Jordyn Wieber's full retirement announcement here. Wieber's contributions to USA Gymnastics and to the sport will be missed.

What are you favorite Jordyn Wieber memories and moments?

2 comments :

  1. I know she is super happy at UCLA and I am glad for her that she gets to experience that! I saw a confession on GymFanConfessions tumblr one time that said something to the effect of, "I know Jordyn didn't have the Olympics she wanted, but the Jo I will always remember is the Jo who went up and rocked the floor during TF and that is the way I think she deserves to be remembered." It pretty much summed up my feelings! Love Jordyn.

    ReplyDelete