Interview with Amanda Jetter

4:58 PM Arabian Punch Front 1 Comments


Copyright USA Gymnastics


Amanda Jetter first qualified to elite in 2008 and made her first Junior National Team in 2009. In 2010, her first year as a senior, she finished 2nd at the US Classic placing ahead of athletes like Aly Raisman and Mackenzie Caquatto. In 2011, Amanda attended the City of Jesolo Trophy in Italy where she helped USA earn gold but unfortunately injured her ankle on vault. Due to the injury, she was only able to compete bars and beam at the 2011 US National Championships but was able to place 5th on bars.

In 2012, Amanda attended the US Classic where she placed 10th in the all-around and 8th on floor exercise. She qualified to the 2012 US National Championships and competed in the all-around placing 14th in what was likely her last elite meet. After that competition, Amanda announced her retirement from elite gymnastics and her excitement for a future at the University of Alabama.

Throughout the years, Amanda has shown amazing difficulty. She opens her floor exercise with a very high and tightly tucked double Arabian and is able to vault a 1.5 Twisting Yurchenko. On bars, she has a straddled Jaeger, Ricna (stalder+Tkatchev), and a double front dismount. Jetter's beam is full of difficulty with a standing full, standing Arabian (yes, she does BOTH! 2011 Jesolo BB), and a double Arabian/Patterson dismount. She will definitely be an asset to Alabama in the years to come. 





2012 US Nationals Day 2 Floor Exercise (or here)


Who are your coaches at CGA and how long have you been there?
Mary Lee Tracy and Rachael and 12 years

I know you injured your ankle in Jesolo, Italy in 2011. How is your ankle doing and how are you doing as far as injuries in general?
My ankle had torn into pieces. I had three torn ligaments on the outside of my ankle and I tore the big ligament on the inside of my ankle. I also had two bone chips and my talus bone was dead. So I had surgery September 1st. They reconnected the ligaments on the outside of my ankle, took the two bone chips out and drilled six holes into my talus bone to get the blood in the bone again. It is so much better after I had my surgery, I'm very thankful that I am able to still be doing the sport I love!

Why did you decide to retire from elite gymnastics this year?
Ever sense I hurt my ankle back in Italy and had surgery I decided to give it one last try at elite and then look ahead to college.

What are your plans for this season?
I will be competing level 10 this year. I am uncertain on how my competition season is going to end up like, although my first meet will be in December.

What are your goals for this season? Any new skills?
I am going to school full time this winter but my goal always is Nationals (Level 10). I am just perfecting my skills that I have done in elite to try and now get 10.0 instead of a high difficulty score.



How did you choose the University of Alabama?
I took an unofficial visit there and instantly loved it and knew right away.

Where do you hope to contribute for Alabama?
I plan to go all around and contribute where I can and where they need me!

Kayla Williams was at CGA the year before she went to Alabama. Did she play any role in your decision to go to Alabama?
I love Kayla but she didn't have any role in my decision. She actually was fine with whatever I wanted!

Do you have any idea what you would like to major in or do in the future?
I want to be a special Ed teacher.

What's one place on campus that you really liked and why?
Everything in Alabama is wonderful and a great place to be. The campus is very nice and the people there are very friendly. We got to go out on the football field and the gymnasium just got all new mats and looks like new! ROLL TIDE!

Who are your role models both in and out of the sport?
I love my parents and how they have supported me through my gymnastics career and my life, so it would have to be them and in gymnastics I still look up to Nastia Liukin.

Do you have a pre-competition or pre-performance routine?
I usually listen to music that pumps me up before I go anywhere

Do you have a favorite quote or motto?
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13


Blitz round:
siblings - names, ages: Derek, he's 21.
nickname: Jetter, Jett
favorite event: bars
least favorite event: vault
skill that took you the longest to learn: 2 and 1/2 front 1/1
favorite show: Pretty Little Liars
favorite song of the moment: Wanted by Hunter Hayes
favorite place you've traveled to: Italy
favorite movie or last movie you watched: Crazy Stupid Love


2012 US Nationals Day 2 Uneven Bars (or here)


Her presence will be missed in elite gymnastics but I wish you the best this season and can't wait to see you competing for Alabama in the future!

@amandajetter on Twitter

Facebook: Arabian Punch Front
Twitter: @ArabianPF_blog
Tumblr: Arabian Punch Front

1 comment :

  1. There is no doubt that she has a great personality. I wish her good luck!

    ReplyDelete